Spouses/Partners and Child Care Subsidy Eligibility

Why does the university require spouses/partners to be enrolled in a college degree program or be employed in order for me to qualify for a Child Care Subsidy?

If a spouse or partner is not working or enrolled in school, it is the expectation that this person would be available to care for a child or children. The funds for this program are limited, so they are always awarded as a matter of policy to families with both parents enrolled in school, or those that have one parent in school and one working (or a combination of being employed and in school). Financial aid staff verifies the spouse's/partner's employment and/or enrollment as part of this program. The U-M community has resources available to assist with child care and other family issues. These are included on the U-M Work-Life Resource Center’s website

Was this helpful?
0 reviews
Print Article


Article ID: 7879
Wed 4/20/22 5:21 PM
Tue 3/14/23 12:02 PM

Related Services / Offerings (1)

Apply for the Child Care Subsidy program for assistance with State of Michigan-licensed child care.