BS in Architecture

What do you study as a Bachelor of Science in Architecture student, and how do I apply?

Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning offers two undergraduate degrees. This answer discusses the Bachelor of Science in Architecture. Please visit our Bachelor of Science in Urban Technology knowledge base answer for information about the other degree.

Architectural education at the University of Michigan prepares students to participate actively in the design of buildings, cities, and the physical environment. Taubman College launched a new curriculum for incoming Bachelor of Science in Architecture students that will provide students with an education that seeks to couple current learning styles with an inventive faculty who bring broad design interests. The changes will tie into our long-standing liberal arts tradition (years 1 and 2) and more focused architectural curriculum (years 3 and 4).

Taubman College's unique features include:

  • a state-of-the-art digital fabrication laboratory
  • a design studio measuring over 32,000 square feet
  • extensive travel abroad opportunities
  • a committed, energetic, award-winning faculty with a wide range of research and design interests
  • a robust series of guest lectures and conferences
  • a globally diverse student body
  • a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio (studios)

Prospective students interested in architecture can start by expressing interest via an online form to request additional information. In addition, Taubman College annually offers an architecture summer pre-college program for high school students called ArcStart.

Both first-year and new transfer applicants are required to submit the Common Application and a portfolio.

There are five different ways to apply to the Bachelor of Science in Architecture as a first-year applicant; refer to the B.S. Admissions Options overview video or the Application Options Visual on the Taubman College website for details. To increase chances for admission to U-M, Taubman College recommends all architecture applicants apply to architecture with a dual-degree with Stamps School of Art and Design, College of Engineering, or the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA).

First-year applicants who are able to show a demonstrated interest in architecture should apply directly to Taubman College. Demonstrated interest includes:

  • Taking visual art
  • CAD or drafting classes
  • Creating things from their imagination or things that they invented (e.g., graphic design, furniture, sewing, crafts, costumes, theater sets, etc.)
  • Experience with rendering software, digital technology (e.g., laser cutting, CNC machines, rapid prototyping, robotics, etc.) or woodshops
  • Attending an architecture magnet high school, summer program, after school program or working at an architecture firm

Cross-campus transfer students are required to complete a minimum of 55 credit hours during their first year and sophomore year before applying via the form on the Change of School or College webpage. Please review the cross-campus transfer information for required courses on the Taubman College website.

Questions? Contact Taubman College at

Was this helpful?
0 reviews


Article ID: 7539
Mon 3/21/22 9:09 AM
Fri 9/15/23 2:22 PM