Materials Needed to Complete a Transfer Application

What materials are required for transfer applicants?

While each school and college may have slightly different requirements, all transfer applicants must provide:

  • Common Application (available online only)
  • University of Michigan questions, including essays, submitted online via Common Application
  • Application fee ($75) or app fee waiver request
  • Proof of high school completion: Official high school transcript with graduation date, a high school transcript and graduation certificate/diploma, or official high school equivalency exam scores
  • Certified copies of any external examinations taken such as IB, O-levels (GCSE/IGCSE/SPM, etc.), or Standard X and XII exams (for applicants who completed high school outside of the U.S.)
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended showing all graded work completed prior to the date of application and sent directly from the institution via a transcript service or to; we do not accept transcripts sent from the applicant*
  • List of all current and future courses
  • TOEFL, IELTS, MET (4-skill MET-digital), Duolingo, etc., exam results are required of all speakers of English as a second language. See General English Proficiency Score Ranges for these tests.

*The type of transcript that needs to be submitted may vary depending on the country of origin and specific educational history of the applicant. Please see the International Requirements by Country webpage. Documents not issued originally in English must be accompanied by an official English translation. Please have college transcripts from any dual enrollment courses submitted as well. We require an explanation for any Ws, Is, or gaps in education. Please provide this explanation in the "additional information" section of the Common Application.

SAT or ACT scores are NOT required and are only valid if taken before graduating from high school. Scores may be self-reported on the application.

Fall term grades are also NOT required for the review process for those who are interested in transferring to the University of Michigan for the winter term. However, upon admission and enrollment, updated official transcripts with final grades should be sent directly from your previous institution, as soon as available.

For additional requirements for each school or college, please refer to the Transfer Requirements and Deadlines webpage. The following Common Application Reports are NOT required unless requested: Academic Evaluator / Instructor Recommendation, College Report, and Mid Year Report.

We highly recommend that all required documents be submitted electronically. You can do so via your application vendor or an online document service such as Parchment, Scrip-Safe, SCOIR, National Student Clearinghouse, and so on.

Your U-M ID (if known) should be included with all documents submitted to the University of Michigan.

Do not submit any additional documents unless specifically requested, as this may delay your decision.

Was this helpful?
0 reviews
Print Article


Article ID: 7513
Thu 3/17/22 2:07 PM
Fri 3/1/24 4:33 PM