Residential College (RC)

What is the Residential College (RC), and how do I apply to it?

The Residential College (RC) is a small, four-year liberal arts Michigan Learning Community within the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA). It offers the best of two worlds—a small college, with faculty, classes, and advising in a residence hall setting, combined with access to all the resources of a large university campus. The curriculum includes programs in the humanities and social sciences, together with opportunities to master foreign languages, pursue interests in the visual and performing arts, and engage with communities outside the classroom. RC students are also LSA students; they can experience the unique interdisciplinary curriculum within the Residential College while also pursuing disciplinary studies and majors in LSA departments. Admission is granted for first-year and sophomore students only, as well as transfer students who have 40 or less transfer credits.

Programs of Study include all LSA majors, and interdisciplinary majors in:

  • Arts and Ideas in the Humanities
  • Creative Writing and Literature
  • Drama
  • Social Theory and Practice
  • RC Individual Concentration Program

Admission to the Residential College is available to any prospective student who has first been accepted to the University of Michigan’s College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA). There is no additional application, essay, or interview required of applicants to the RC.

You may indicate interest in Residential College directly on the Common Application by selecting Residential College as your "Program of Study." This selection does not impact potential admission to UM-LSA.

If you missed marking your interest in the Residential College program on the application, and you have not yet received a decision on your application, you may do so on Enrollment Connect under the Application menu by choosing "Verify Application Answers"and selecting "Request to Update Personal Information." If you are an admitted student and wish to apply to the Residential College, you can indicate interest in joining by filling out the form on the apply page of the RC website.

If you have any questions about the Residential College or admission into this program, please contact the Residential College directly via email at or by phone at 734-763-0032 or contact them via an online form on the RC website.

Was this helpful?
0 reviews


Article ID: 7449
Thu 3/17/22 11:50 AM
Sat 4/30/22 12:12 PM