Reverse Transfer

Does U-M have reverse transfer agreements?

The University of Michigan has reverse transfer agreements with several Michigan community colleges. The purpose is to encourage students who transferred to U-M from a community college, without receiving an associate's degree or certificate, to complete the community college credential while attending U-M. Essentially, you use your U-M coursework to complete your community college degree. The community college evaluates the U-M coursework to determine if it satisfies their remaining credential requirements. If so, the community college credential (degree, certificate, etc.) is awarded. There are no negative consequences.

The Office of the Registrar contacts qualifying students (who transferred from participating community colleges) twice per year (in February and October). A U-M transfer student may indicate their interest in reverse transfer by completing a special reverse transfer transcript release form. The form allows the student to authorize the release of their academic transcript to the previously attended community college.

Students with questions can email Brad Maki, senior associate registrar, at

The University of Michigan has a formal reverse transfer agreement with the following community colleges:

  • Delta College
  • Grand Rapids Community College
  • Henry Ford College
  • Jackson College
  • Kalamazoo Valley Community College
  • Lake Michigan College
  • Macomb Community College
  • Northwestern Michigan College
  • Schoolcraft College
  • Washtenaw Community College
Was this helpful?
0 reviews


Article ID: 7626
Sun 4/3/22 8:13 PM
Tue 4/5/22 10:41 AM