Application Fee Payment or Waiver


What is the application fee and how do I pay it or ask to have it waived?

Paying the Application Fee

Our application fee is $75. If you did not pay the application fee on the Common Application and do not qualify for an application fee waiver, you can pay by logging in to Enrollment Connect and selecting "Pay Application Fee."

Applicants who reapply to UM-Ann Arbor for a term less than one year from the original term of application do not have to submit a new application, nor do they need to pay a new application fee, but rather they can submit a request to have their application updated. For example, if you want to update your application from fall 2024 to winter 2025, spring 2025 (transfer applicants only), or summer 2025, you do not need to submit a new application fee or application. Instead, you can request an update by going to Enrollment Connect and choosing the Application menu. Next, select the button that reads Verify Application Answers and click on "Request to Update U-M College or Term."

A second $75 application fee is required for applicants who reapply to the University of Michigan for a term one full year or more past their original term of admission. For example, if you want to update your application from fall 2024 to fall 2025, a new application fee and a new application would be required.

Application Fee Waiver*

Fee waiver requests can be submitted by the applicant via the Common Application or by sending an email to and including your full name, your U-M ID (if known), the reason you are requesting an application fee waiver, and supporting documentation (as listed below).

  • The applicant's reported estimated household gross income is $75,000 or less
  • A SAT waiver form or ACT waiver form is submitted
  • A NACAC waiver form is submitted
  • A College Board waiver form is submitted
  • The request is submitted by a high school counselor or school official on official school letterhead, or emailed from a school official
  • The applicant previously applied to University of Michigan-Dearborn/Flint**
  • The applicant reports that they receive free/reduced lunch
  • A Common Application fee waiver form is submitted
  • A letter of hardship is submitted by the applicant for consideration
  • For transfer applicants only, a letter supporting your request for a fee waiver from your current college advisor or an outside individual/agency (Financial Aid Officer) that can speak to your need submitted by sending the request to

*International students are not typically eligible for application fee waivers.

**Applicants who have already applied to UM-Flint or UM-Dearborn are not required to pay another application fee and should choose the appropriate college-specific fee waiver in the U-M member section of the Common Application.

The University of Michigan does NOT waive the $75 application fee during “Michigan College Month” in October.

Native American applicants who are enrolled citizens of a U.S. Federally Recognized Tribe as certified by their Tribal Enrollment Department will have their application fee waived. Applicants should check the fee waiver request box on the application and include the required Tribal Enrollment Number.

Veterans, either currently serving or those who have previously served, will indicate on the application that they have served or are serving in the United States Armed Forces, and they will automatically be granted an application fee waiver.

If you have further questions about paying your application fee or submitting an application fee waiver request, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 734-764-7433 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.



Article ID: 7507
Thu 3/17/22 1:58 PM
Thu 6/13/24 9:25 AM