Materials Needed to Complete a First-year Application

What materials are required for first-year applicants?

The required materials for a first-year application are as follows:

  • Common Application (available online only)
  • University of Michigan questions, including essays, submitted online via Common Application
  • Application fee ($75) or app fee waiver request
  • Official high school transcript*
  • Official college transcripts (for high school students dual enrolled in a college or university)
  • SAT or ACT score, if available and you wish them to be considered; information regarding our test-flexible policy (test-optional policy starting for 2025 cycle) is available on our Application Changes webpage
  • School Report**
  • One Teacher Evaluation (core academic teacher or other non-relative who can speak directly to the student's academic aptitude, potential, and classroom performance)
  • TOEFL (U-M code 1839), IELTS, MET (4-skill MET-digital), Duolingo, etc., exam results are required of all speakers of English as a second language. See General English Proficiency Score Ranges for these tests.

*The type of transcript that needs to be submitted may vary depending on the country of origin and specific educational history of the applicant. Please see the International Requirements by Country webpage. Documents not issued originally in English must be accompanied by an official English translation. Original and official documentation of an applicant's high school record must be sent to our office by each international high school that was attended.

**The School Report or Counselor Recommendation must be submitted with an official high school transcript and received in our office by the deadline. For this reason, we strongly encourage counselors to submit the report and transcript electronically.

All of these materials must be received by the Nov. 1 deadline for your application to be considered for Early Action, or by Feb. 1 for Regular Decision.

We highly recommend that all required documents be submitted electronically. You can do so via your application vendor or an online document service such as Parchment, Scrip-Safe, SCOIR, National Student Clearinghouse, and so on.

Your U-M ID (if known) should be included with all documents submitted to the University of Michigan.

Do not submit any additional documents unless specifically requested, as this may delay your decision.

Was this helpful?
0 reviews
Print Article


Article ID: 7570
Thu 3/24/22 2:46 PM
Wed 2/21/24 12:28 PM